Audio books have gained popularity recently. Here are just a few of the advantages that audio books have over normal hardcover or paperback books:
1) You can make constructive use of dead time - time that would be otherwise impossible to fill with a normal book.
2) Go green! Audio books don't need trees to be cut down.
3) With mp3 player functions such as mid track resume you can pick up where you left off or find a place easily again.
4) You can listen to an audio book when it's dark.
5) Get the kids to sleep easier - With an audio book you can simply play it for them until they fall asleep.
Magic Tree House series, by Mary Pope Osborne
Is your child a reluctant reader? Sometimes children avoid reading and do not get the practice they need to improve their skills. Encourage reading by pairing books with unabridged audio books. Mixing things up by adding audio books you can try different strategies that might help:
Word recognition is reinforced by following the book as the aduio book plays.
Try listening to a chapter and then read it, which my help with understanding the main idea better.
Try reading a chapter and then listening to it. This could help to check understanding.
Percy Jackson and the Olympians series, by Rick Riordan
So why not check out some of our library's audio books and find out for yourself how useful and how fun they are. Of course, they're not just for kids! There are also loads of free audio books available for downloadright to your own computer at OWWL2go. Questions? We can help!